Posted by admin on 09/3/10 in Recipes
Roast beef is the perfect Entrée’ to an end of summer feast. A well prepared roast is both festive and rustic , simple to make yet impressive.
I chose to prepare a rib roast for this year’s Rosh Hashana( Jewish New -year’s), because the forecast is for a hot day and roasts along with all other dry cooking methods yield a lighter result than Proteins prepared using moist cooking methods ( Stews, Braises, poached meats…) which we prefer in the winter.
Many home cooks fear the large roast , for no good reason other than the fact that they had made a disastrous one at some point and do not want to waste an expensive piece of meat, or be embarrassed at the dinner table by a tough ,overcooked dry result.
Now, a great roast is easy! It is all about high quality ingredients and following the guidelines to a Tee . No shortcuts please!
The best kosher cuts of beef used for roasting are : Tenderloin /Fillet ( only the front end) and the Rib (bone in , boneless, rolled) , the deboned cuts are also referred to as Striploin ( American market term or Entrecote ( French term).
1 Rib Roast , bone in and trussed. Make sure you know exactly how much your cut weighs.
1 bunch Thyme
2 Tbsp oil
Coarse ground black pepper
- Rub salt and pepper all around the roast and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove from the fridge and allow to reach room tempo , about 1 hour. The result will be much more tender that way.
- Preheat the oven to 450oF.
- Place the meat over a layer of Thyme sprigs in a roasting pan.
- Drizzle the top with the oil and put in the oven for 15 minutes. This gives the initial sear that seals the pores in the meat, keeping it beautifully moist inside, and also caramelizes the meat ( called :Maillard Reaction- starches turn to sugars when they reach 310oF ), which yields that sweet charred flavor we love!
- Continue to roast for 12 minutes for every Lb. This is why the uncooked weight is important. ( Example : For a 5 Lb Bone in Rib roast you would need 15 minutes+ ( 12 mins*5Lb)= 75 minutes toal).
- Remove from the oven, cover loosely and allow to rest for 10 minutes above the oven before slicing. Resist the urge! This allows the juices to redistribute evenly in the meat .